@Doug: gnome-screensaver is installed, yes

After updating to the latest available updates from today I can no longer
reproduce this problem; the hotkeys work fine.

** Changed in: gnome-settings-daemon (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  regression: hotkeys no longer functional

Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  [edit: originally this bug was just about keyboard backlight hotkeys,
  but it turns out all hotkeys are broken]

  A recent change to 13.10 has broken hotkeys on my MacbookPro3,1. This
  was working well until about a week ago (1st week of October 2013).

  The underlying (kernel) functionality still works; for example this will turn
off the keyboard backlight with no problem:
  echo 0 | sudo tee -a /sys/class/leds/smc\:\:kbd_backlight/brightness

  Therefore I assume it's a gnome-settings-daemon (or upower?)
  regression.

  To reproduce:
  2) Press a hotkey (for example screen brightness; keyboard backlight; etc)

  Expected results:
  Keyboard backlight changes when you press the hotkey

  Actual results:
  Nothing happens when you press any of the hotkeys

  Package: gnome-settings-daemon 3.8.5-0ubuntu7
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia