With the introduction of libcolumbus and fuzzy matching it now (13.10)
works as described in this bug report (one can argue it's too tolerant
and fuzzy).

** Changed in: unity-lens-applications

** No longer affects: unity

** Changed in: unity-lens-applications (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: unity (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  Dash - Add sub-string matching to Dash search

Status in Ayatana Design:
  Fix Committed
Status in Unity Applications Lens:
  Fix Committed
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “unity-lens-applications” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  Not a bug specifically, but...

  It would be really nice if, when you hit Super and start typing the
  name of an application you wish to open, Unity behaved more like
  GNOME-Do. What I mean is that in Unity's current form, you have to
  type the proper name of the application. Whereas in GNOME-Do, you can
  just hit a few characters from it and it will find it for you. For
  example, "Synaptic Package Manager". In Unity you have to start typing
  S Y N, but in GNOME-Do you could type S M or S P or S P M, etc and it
  knows what you mean. The letters don't have to be adjacent to each
  other in the name of the application for GNOME-Do, but they must be in
  Unity. This would be a nice little feature to have, and would make
  Unity that little bit more unifying.

  Second description of same issue from dupe bug:

  This could be seen as a wishlist, but in my opinion the current
  behavior is unexpected.

  When using dash and starting writing the name of the application/file,
  I expected the match being done with *all* the name of the
  application, not just the *start*. I mean, if I type "dict", I expect
  to see both "Dictionary" and "StarDict". I notices this several time;
  you often remember part of the name of the application and sometime it
  is not the start of it.