Unfortunately this bug still occurs in Saucy final.  It would be really
nice to fix this for Trusty.

Packages, which is subscribed to epiphany-browser in Ubuntu.

  can't set Epiphany as default browser

Status in “epiphany-browser” package in Ubuntu:

  I'm running Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy), which has Epiphany 3.6.1.  I have
  Epiphany installed on my system and I'd like to set it as default, but
  it doesn't show up in the list of browsers to choose from in System
  Settings->Details->Default Applications->Web.

  The problem is that /usr/share/applications/epiphany.desktop does not
  include 'x-scheme-handler/http' in its MimeType list.  This MIME type
  must appear there in order for the control center to recognize this as
  a Web browser.  Note that 'x-scheme-handler/http' *does* appear in
  epiphany.desktop.in.in in the Epiphany 3.6.1 sources (see

https://git.gnome.org/browse/epiphany/tree/data/epiphany.desktop.in.in?h=gnome-3-6).
  So I believe this is an Ubuntu packaging bug.