I have submitted a duplicate and have been following this bug for years,
saddly seeing no resolution at all. Some stuff must be made clear:

Paper size names are surely locale dependent ("Letter" in the US is
"Carta" in Brazil), but the default value for the paper size is NOT. It
is determined by the host operating system, i.e., the software component
which is responsible for handling the printers and their queues. Any
default value provided by Firefox, anywhere, is WRONG. Please find every
line setting a default value and get rid of it.

I have not noticed this bug acting for quite a while in Windows and Mac
OS, so this is clearly a platform independent feature which which was
corrected the wrong way, probably in the platform dependent module. The
linux module should get this values from cups, and that's it -- why on
earth does 'letter' keeps popping up? Where does this value come from?
Please get rid of it, I already abandoned Firefox for any printing in my
Linux boxes, and I am on the verge of abandoning it whatsoever, just
because of this stupid little bug which persists for more than a decade.

I cannot even find a place to buy letter-sixed paper if I needed to. It
doesn't exist in Brazil, although some weird legal sizes are still used
in some time-shifted places like notary offices and advocacy firms.

Weather websites are smart enough to tell I'm im Rio de Janeiro, but
show temperatures in Fahrenheit and wind speed in miles/h. My new GPS
app knows I'm im Brazil but shows distandes in miles and yards. My music
editor (made in Europe!) gets the paper size right, but still defaults
margins in inches, and worst: when I change them, they get rounded to
the nearest inch fraction, so I keep getting 2.98 mm instead of 3.00 !
How an European software chooses to use inches inside it is beyond my
understanding. This must have something to do with (very old)
development frameworks.

Firefox should not be this dumb, and specially not in a internationally
freely distributed OS like Linux.

Please do something. Let us get rid of all US medieval defaults, they're
like a curse.

  Default page size for printing is letter

Status in The Mozilla Firefox Browser:
  In Progress
Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “firefox” package in Baltix:

  (Default warty install, dist-upgraded to hoary, language chosen is
  Norwegian)

  about:config reports that print.postscript.paper_size is letter, which is
wrong
  for Norway, it should be A4.  It should probably look at LC_PAPER or
/etc/papersize