https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/+bug/694468

Considering the poster of that bug and that the underlying Gnome bug
just had its 10th anniversary, this is almost hilarious.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-terminal in Ubuntu.

  Terminal colors when multiple tabs are open

Status in “gnome-terminal” package in Ubuntu:

  I am currently testing 13.04, but I was quite disappointed this bug
  from 12.10 was not fixed yet: I use the terminal (standard 'terminal'
  which should be gnome-terminal) with black background and white
  foreground color (apart from that: default Ambiance theme). It looks
  very nice as long as you don't open multiple tabs. As soon as you open
  multiple tabs you will be hit by a lightning... Suddenly the whole
  terminal gets an ugly white frame and the tabs themselves (instead of
  being white on black, too), are big white bars, too. How come this has
  not been detected by anyone half interested in good design (about 70%
  of the programmers I know work with white on black, not black on
  white. So I assume a lot of people must have seen this).

  The question is how to fix it. In 12.10, I partially fixed it as follows (but
that does not remove the ugly white bars called tabs):
  1) /usr/share/themes/Ambiance/gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css
  2) set padding and border-width of ".notebook" to 0px.
  Not very elegant... as I said. But I'm sure the experts in the field would
easily know how to fix it. At least I hope very much. The massive white frame
and tabs distract the eye for the 'white on black' setup.

  Note: this was asked as a 'question' (#225231) where it has been
  suggested to file a bug report.