This happened to me also in Precise Penguin.

I've moved the xorg.conf file out of the way, and it is now using the
xorg.conf.failsafe.  Works better for my current configuration.

It resolves the message.  It allows me to make configuration changes via
the System Settings utility.  That is all that I need right now.

I expect to copy xorg.conf.failsafe to xorg.conf in the near future, so
that I can customize it as desired.  And, so that the failsafe file
doesn't get bungled by any apps that might modify it in the absence of
xorg.conf.

The machine has an MGA driver, but I don't have the patience to get that
driver working on the machine, considering that I expect that I may
"decommission" the machine as soon as I can get all of the files off of
it.  Then again, I may upgrade the machine after all of the files are
moved off of the machine.

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-fbdev in Ubuntu.

  9.04 PPC: fbdev wrongly configured in X

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-fbdev” package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-video-fbdev

  Ubuntu 9.04PPC "out-of-the-box" fresh install on an iMac DV 400MHz
  (G3, slot-loader):

  After the install, xorg.conf stays empty. Hence, X tries to figure out
  the correct settings and driver automatically. On my iMac, X fails to
  detect the built-in ATI Rage 128 card (see
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-
  video-r128/+bug/400864 ) and subsequently tries to use the fbdev
  driver. When doing so, X does start, however, only 256 colours are
  used (8bit PseudoColor mode). I tried to investigate the cause for
  this and tried several things:

  1) Create a minimal xorg.conf (the attached version contains some
  commented out lines from experimenting) with "DefaultDepth 24" in the
  Screen section. This results in an error message "FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO
  succeeded but modified mode" (see attached Xorg.0.log).

  2) I tried the same thing using "DefaultFbBpp 32" instead of
  "DefaultDepth 24". The result was the same.

  3) I noticed in the log file that apparently the modes are checked
  against the fbdev set-up. The default frame-buffer set-up as listed by
  "fbset -i -v" is attached as well. It can be seen from this output and
  Xorg.0.log that the frame buffer seems to have 8bit only and only some
  600KB of video memory. Hence, I tried modifying these settings with
  fbset - to no avail. I also tried adding a "VideoRam" statement to
  xorg.conf - also to no avail. I was not able to change any settings.

  In the end, I am still not able to run anything but 8bit graphics
  using the fbdev driver. My impression is that this is due to the frame
  buffer being in the wrong mode itself, but this seemingly cannot be
  changed easily.

  The same hardware works fine with 24bit under 8.04, using the r128
  driver.