When prompted, the following appears in /var/log/auth.log:

Nov  5 08:43:23 odin polkitd(authority=local): Registered Authentication
Agent for unix-process:9487:464692 (system bus name :1.100 [udisksctl
mount -b /dev/mmcblk0p1], object path
/org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8)

When attempting to mount the volume through a graphical file manager
(such as Thunar or Nautilus) there are no entries in /var/log/auth.log.

Packages, which is subscribed to policykit-desktop-privileges in Ubuntu.

  regression: local admin not authorized for many tasks

Status in “policykit-desktop-privileges” package in Ubuntu:

  Similar reports to this were filed previously:
  #1005643 & #1069234

  While 1069234 was marked as a duplicate of 1005643, and 1005643 was
  marked as resolved, this problem still exists with 13.10.

  When attempting to mount any of my local volumes through a graphical
  file manager (such as Thunar or Nautilus), I'm greeted with a dialog
  like the following:

  Failed to mount "keys".
  Not authorized to perform operation.

  When attempting to mount them from a command line I get the following:
  $ udisksctl mount -b /dev/mmcblk0p1
  ==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount ===
  Authentication is required to mount MS (/dev/mmcblk0p1)
  Multiple identities can be used for authentication:
   1.  Jamin Collins,,, (jcollins)
   2.  Jamin Collins,,, (jcollins)
  Choose identity to authenticate as (1-2):

  This is presumably because my user is in both the admin and sudo
  groups.  If I remove the user from the sudo group the prompt changes:

  $ sudo deluser jcollins sudo
  [sudo] password for jcollins:
  Removing user `jcollins' from group `sudo' ...
  Done.
  $ udisksctl mount -b /dev/mmcblk0p1
  ==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount ===
  Authentication is required to mount MS (/dev/mmcblk0p1)
  Authenticating as: Jamin Collins,,, (jcollins)
  Password:

  So, there are a couple of problems here.  First is the fact that a
  local admin is being prompted for authentication to mount local or
  removable file systems.  Second, that the authentication system can't
  determine that accounts are, in fact, identical.

  Package: policykit-desktop-privileges 0.16
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-32.47-generic 3.8.13.10
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-32-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Tue Nov  5 07:35:31 2013
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release amd64 (20091027)
  MarkForUpload: True
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: policykit-desktop-privileges
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to saucy on 2013-11-04 (0 days ago)