bug from 2009. Version not more supported.
change status to invalid.

** Changed in: evolution (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to evolution in Ubuntu.

  When selecting part of an HTML email and replying only to that part,
  Evolution removes line breaks

Status in The Evolution Mail & Calendaring Tool:
  Confirmed
Status in “evolution” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: evolution

  Evolution has a great feature where you can reply to a small part of
  an email by selecting only the needed part and using the reply
  function. This works very well for plain text emails, but for HTML
  emails the selected part becomes the quoted part of a new HTML email,
  but all the line breaks of the original message (new lines, <br/>
  tags) are stripped off so you see the original email as one long line
  - regardless of how many lines or paragraphs the selected text
  contains.

  This makes replying to long HTML messages a tedious process where I
  have to debate if I rather select the text I want to reply to and then
  spend time putting back the line breaks where I remember them to be,
  or just reply to everything and edit away what I don't need.