I never had this issue in Ubuntu 10.04 in the same computer with exactly
the same hardware.

Packages, which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  fglrx hard lockup on shutdown

Status in “fglrx-installer” package in Ubuntu:

  First reported here:

  fglrx is preventing clean shut downs. Hardware is an ASUS E-35M1-I
  Deluxe, ie. the Fusion APU, and I'm running Ubuntu Natty AMD64, linux-
  generic 2.6.38.7.21, fglrx 2:8.840-0ubuntu1, xserver-xorg
  1:7.6+4ubuntu1. Everything else in the driver is working perfectly,
  ie. hardware accelerated video and 3D, etc.

  Executing "service slim stop" or "service gdm stop" while running
  fglrx, the whole system would sometimes hang, needing a hard reset.
  More often I'll just get "slim is not responding to TERM signals".
  slim.log shows "unexpected signal 15", but slim and X are still
  running. No errors in the Xorg.0.log file. Slim no longer responds to
  input when switching to view the login screen, perhaps because it's
  trying to shut down.

  Trying to kill slim manually has no effect, probably because it's
  already trying to shut down, but fglrx and/or X won't let it. This is
  probably what's preventing a clean shut down.

  "kill -9" on slim and X do kill them, but certain kernel resources are
  clearly not reclaimed because switching to the X console, ie. alt-F7,
  produce a black screen and I can't get back to a regular tty console.
  System still responds to ctl-alt-delete reboot though (sometimes).

  Shutdown times out and the disks are forcibly unmounted, forcing a
  disk check on the next boot. No adverse messages in the logs that I
  can see (Xorg.0.log, slim.log, syslog, kern.log, etc.). The open
  source radeon driver does not have these issues.