Hi Norbert,
I assume you are the package maintainer, thank you for your contributions to
debian. Also thank you for pointing out that the package can be deselected, it
turns out this question was actually raised for this specific package a couple
of times before, e.g. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1963939 and
http://askubuntu.com/questions/84854/are-textlive-xxx-doc-packages-required-for-installing-lyx
 .

I believe the question is not whether the package is recommended or
required, but rather if the package needs to have the same big PDF file
twice, in english and in french. I just mentioned that I got the package
without need to underline that this could be the case with many other
users as well.

So if I understood your reply correctly, you are convinced that:

a) minitoc-fr.pdf (27 MB) belongs into the package for users speaking arbitrary
languages
and
b) minitoc.pdf must have many figures of flags and maps of countries?

Packages, which is subscribed to texlive-extra in Ubuntu.

  texlive-latex-extra-doc is too big in size and includes unneeded big
  minitoc-fr.pdf file (~27Mb)

Status in “texlive-extra” package in Ubuntu:

  texlive-latex-extra-doc is too big in size (187 megabytes) and includes
unneeded big minitoc-fr.pdf files (~27Mb size) in
/usr/share/doc/texlive-latex-extra-doc/latex/minitoc/ folder:
  ubuntu@ubuntu:/$ ls -lh
usr/share/doc/texlive-latex-extra-doc/latex/minitoc/mini*pdf
  27M 2009-05-31 00:46
usr/share/doc/texlive-latex-extra-doc/latex/minitoc/minitoc-fr.pdf
  27M 2009-05-31 00:46
usr/share/doc/texlive-latex-extra-doc/latex/minitoc/minitoc.pdf

  I don't know why these minitoc*.pdf files are so big, maybe because of
included images in PDF files?
  It would be nice to decrease size of minitoc*.pdf files, maybe converting to
Dejavu or HTML format would help?
  If there are no way to  decrease size of minitoc*.pdf files at least twice
then please remove minitoc-fr.pdf file