Hi,
is there any update about this problem?
I'm still experiencing this issue on laptop.

Using
Linux dell-xps 3.12.0-031200-generic #201311031935 SMP Mon Nov 4 00:36:54 UTC
2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
and
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        12.04
Codename:       precise

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  screen brightness adjustment keys incorrectly reset brightness to 100%
  after login

Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” package in Ubuntu:

  I have screen brightness set to about 30% in gnome-control-center's
  Screen app.

  After I first login, the first time I press a brightness adjustment
  key, brightness is reset to 100%.

  Subsequent adjustments work correctly. It appears that the adjustment
  script is not reading the correct setting the first time, but stores
  it for subsequent adjustment events.

  Another behaviour probably related to this: if I say turn the
  brightness down to minimum and then switch to a guest session via the
  indicator-session menu, when I switch back the brightness is set to
  full. If I press either brightness adjustment key, it immediately
  resets the brightness back to minimum. So upower is using its locally
  stored setting, but it does not match the current setting.

  Package: acpi-support 0.138
  Uname: Linux 3.1.0-rc4-git-20110831.1150 x86_64
  Architecture: amd64