Hello again Raymond and whoever is following this report,

I replaced the HDA-Intel.conf with the above(see #45).  My results are the
same.  Audio-test -c 6 -t wav results in audio out via the HDMI, stereo only.
Left-Right reversed and Left-Right Rear, Center and LFE barely audible.
Audio test videos can be obtained at
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-digital-plus-download.html
I have also been using some test DVDs I purchased while working in the
production studios.  The DVD set is called "Video Essentials NTSC" test dvds by
JKP.

Running a test using XBMC settings as follows:
Top selection:
Audio Output --> HDMI
Speaker Configuation --> 5.1
Lower Section:
Audio Output Device --> HDA NVidia, HDMI
Passthrough Device --> HDA Nvidia, HDMI
These settings result in only digital data in the audio output (Buzz or Hiss).

Top section (as above)
Lower Section:
Audio Output Device --> HDA Nvidia, ALC888 Digital S/PDIF
Passthrough Device --> HDA Nvidia,ALC888 Digital S/PDIF
These settings result in decoded audio playback of 5.1 surround sound using
these encoded test videos.

Video: 1920x1080 H.264 @ 24 fps (all test videos)
Test video #1:
Audio Codec:  E-AC-3 (ATSC A/52B)
Channels:  Surround 5.1
Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
Bitrate 640 kbps

Test video #2:
Audio Codec:  DolbyTrueHD
Channels:  Surround 7.1
Sample Rate:  48000
Bitrate N/A

Using the surround sound test video "channelcheck-large.mp4" or
"channelcheck-small.mp4".
File with extention .m2ts produces digital noise output in VLC.

VLC media player version "2.0.9 Twoflower" settings:
HDA Nvidia, HDMI 0 Audio out selected produces only 5.1 downmixed to stereo.
There is no option for surround sound with this selection.  The 5.1 downmix to
stereo is also not properly a mapped L-R it is reversed as R-L.
All HDMI 0 selections available to play through HDMI is only Stereo, there are
no 5.1 surround sound options under Audio Channels dropdown or Audio Device
dropdown except analog.

HDA Nvidia, ALC888 Digital IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output only
produces Stereo only.

Using the Audio Selection of: Playback/recording Through Pulseaudio
Sound Server,  produces audio out receiver selected input S/PDIF or HDMI
with Pulseaudio selections (IEC958) or (HDMI)  in Stereo only.

Summery of my findings with both ALSA and Pulseaudio, with the above
HDA-Intel.conf and even the original script are as follows:
1.   The original script was limited to selections for audio output.  An
additional output that I have noticed was the "Playback/recording Through
Pulseaudio sound server", something I have never noticed before.

2.   All output selections only produce Stereo output.  There is no
selection for 5.1surround either S/PDIF, IEC958 or HDMI. There is only
Analog 5.1 and above available.  Earlier releases of Ubuntu before 13.10
had options for 5.1surround S/PDIF, IEC958 or HDMI in the Audio Output
selection and Audio Channels of VLC.  I have not tested with earlier
versions of VLC.

3.   When testing under XBMC version Frodo 12.2, I have full Digital 5.1
surround sound via S/PDIF receiver selection.  When selecting direct
HDMI on the receiver, not HDMI-auto which will default to S/PDIF, some
of the video's audio track did not play through HDMI or if an encoded
5.1 track were to play the audio there is only digital buzz or hiss.

4.  Here is something to look at.  Why is XBMC producing 5.1 surround sound via
S/PDIF when VLC or other media players do not?  Most all experienced users of
XBMC state; turn off or completely remove Pulseaudio.
I feel that it is not Pulseaudio and or ALSA  that is thes issues since there
is no 5.1surround in the standard media players and there is 5.1 surround in
XBMC but only via S/PDIF.

5.  Lastly, then I am done here with this since there is no discussion on a
once and for all fix not patches for this.
As I have stated before more then once, I feel that it is about time to have
the developers get away from two packages for audio.  Also, get out of  the
possible mindset of  "if it is not broke, then don't fix it"
As a Broadcast Engineer, I have found that sometimes it may be easier to work
with what you have and just keep patching.  In this case it is broke, now it is
time to fix it once and for all.
Scrap these two troublesome packages and develop something new.  One Package
not another combine this or patch that combination.
Make the package as an option in a update or a stand alone option to install.
Lets say one is developed, the user installs it via a package handler or via
the terminal, it uninstalls ALSA and Pulse from the system then installs the
new audio package..  I know that this is easier said then done, but this issue
has gone on for years.  So lets start on something and table any fixes or
patches for what is there now so there is time for new development.

What most have forgotten here is that the everyday user; not someone like me
that can grasp most of the infomation above, is not going to understand any of
what has transpired within all these posts.  Ubuntu is showing up more and more
in many consumer products and especially Home Theater systems in one form or
another.  It is a Plug n` Play world whether it is Linux or Microsoft.  Having
to jump through hoops to set up the audio is not going to slide by the user
much longer when using this distro or any distro using ALSA and Pulseaudio.
Over the years things have changed in this distro for the better as in speed
and efficiency.  By my experience using this distro especially this released
version 13.10, it seems the audio has not advanced, but is actually degrading
and falling behind technology.

So I can finally enjoy my Home Theater System here, I have retired to using
just the 5.1 S/PDIF output for XBMC and just deal with stereo output for all
the other media players.
I would suggest to keep this bug report open until there is a final decision
what is going to be done with this ongoing audio issue.

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  HDMI output not available in 13.10

Status in “alsa-driver” package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:

  Hello,

  My issue here is with the HDMI output, it is non existent.  I have had no
issues with earlier versions of Ubuntu from 10.x, 12.04 LTS and 13.04.  Even
the original distro which was originally on this HTPC, Susse.
  I have researched all avenues for a remedy to my issue including #ALSA,
#Pulseaudio and #Ubuntu IRCs.
  Some have mention it is possibly a kernel issue. I do have audio via S/PDIF
which is stereo only.

  I did not upgrade the existing version; which most would, I have done a clean
install of Ubuntu 13.10.  Everything is working fine except for my audio
issues.  HDMI output is not showing in either ALSA or Pavucontrol.
  On the previous versions of Ubuntu I had many options of Digital 5.1 surround
ouputs including HDMI.   All that is available now for surround sound is analog
options.

  In the Sound configuration panel I only have Digital Output (S/PDIF)Built-in
Audio and Analog Output Built-in Audio which are only Stereo, HDMI is now
missing in 13.10
  I have tried so many apparent fixes in various forums which included  editing
confg files, uninstalling and reinstalling Alsa-base and Pulseaudio.  I am
surprised that I have any sound out of the S/PDIF Coax or Optical now.
  Thank you for taking the time to look this over.  I am not 100% sure  this is
a bug , but by all the research, suggestions on the IRCs and not having this
issue on previous versions,  I am leaning towards it being a bug.  If you need
any further information please let me know and I will respond asap.

  Here is a link to my system info that was uploaded via alsa-info.sh:
  HTTP://pastebin.com/Mwhwvwxw

  This is the original alsa upload link:
  HTTP://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=ecbcde4ed5874b18b8c18ea54d85ce7033287134

  Here is my system information:
  Release:      13.10
  Kernel-release version
  3.11.0-13-generic
  uname -a string
  Linux HTPC 3.11.0-13-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 23 07:38:26 UTC 2013
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  HTPC System Info:
  Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ × 2
  Memory: 4GiB
  Graphics: GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a/integrated/SSE2
  OS Type: Ubuntu 13.10 64-bit
  Disk: 320 GB
  DVB: AVerTVHD MCE A180
  Remote: ATI USB RF wireless remote ( Remote Wonder)
  Keyboard/Mouse: Wireless
  System formerly a Captiveworks 3000/4000 ATSC and DVB-S Satellite HTPC,
Distro used, Susse
  ---
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  gee        2171 F.... cairo-dock
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" - Release amd64
(20131016.1)
  MarkForUpload: True
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Package: pulseaudio 1:4.0-0ubuntu6 [modified:
usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/iec958-stereo-output.conf]
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_US
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
  PulseList:
   Error: command ['pacmd', 'list'] failed with exit code 1: Home directory not
accessible: Permission denied
   No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
  Tags:  saucy saucy
  UserGroups:

  dmi.bios.date: 03/19/2008
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: CaptiveWorks CW-3000HD V2.37
  dmi.board.asset.tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.board.name: MS-7349
  dmi.board.vendor: MSI
  dmi.board.version: 1.0
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.chassis.version: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvrCaptiveWorksCW-3000HDV2.37:bd03/19/2008:svnMSI:pnMS-7349:pvr1.0:rvnMSI:rnMS-7349:rvr1.0:cvnToBeFilledByO.E.M.:ct3:cvrToBeFilledByO.E.M.:
  dmi.product.name: MS-7349
  dmi.product.version: 1.0
  dmi.sys.vendor: MSI
  ---
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  gee        1257 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC2:  gee        1257 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  gee        1257 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDmesg:
   [   19.643569] init: plymouth-splash main process (1074) terminated with
status 1
   [   21.504805] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
   [   21.506028] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
   [   21.511928] forcedeth 0000:00:0a.0: irq 47 for MSI/MSI-X
   [   21.511981] forcedeth 0000:00:0a.0 eth0: MSI enabled
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" - Release amd64
(20131016.1)
  MarkForUpload: True
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Package: pulseaudio 1:4.0-0ubuntu6
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  Tags:  saucy saucy
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo