Public bug reported:

I have Lubuntu 13.10 (originally 12.04). I added Nautilus, so that I could have
it show date/time for photos under the thumbnails, so I can easily group them.
[The current version does not have the option of selecting the type of date
displayed under the thumbnails in the preferences, so I had to install Nemo,
which is based on an earlier version of Nautilus, and still can.   I retained
Nautilus, for some reason, and the bug is true for both apps. ]

When I copy photos from my USB-attached camera, I send them to trash when I am
satisfied the copy was successful.
When I had regular Ubuntu (various versions prior to 12.04) and clicked on
"Eject" or "Safely remove drive", or whatever, I was asked whether or not I
wished to empty the trash or not.

At some point in Nautilus' development, some things changed.
Now, there is only one option: Eject (or the equivilent clicking on the eject
icon next to the device name).
Now, when I select "Eject" or click on the icon, I am NOT asked if I want to
empty the trash. I have repeatedly attached/removed the camera and tried both
the context item and icon, but am not asked about the trash.
I have to separately "select all" files in the two Trash sub-directories and
click shift-del (and confirm that I wish to permanently delete the files).
Why is Nautilus not asking me if I want to empty the trash?

[Awhile ago, there was some discussion about the USB removal options
that used to be present: "Eject", "Safely Remove Drive", and I think
there might have also been a third one.  I imagine the consensus was
that having multiple options for essentially (literally?) the same
operation was probably confusing to the user, and therefore the options
were reduced to "Eject".  Am I correct?  The Trash ought to be emptied,
in any case...]

scott@scott-ASUS-M2N68-AM-PLUS:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        13.10
Codename:       saucy
scott@scott-ASUS-M2N68-AM-PLUS:~$ nautilus --version
GNOME nautilus 3.8.2

Package: nautilus 1:3.8.2-0ubuntu2
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.11.0-13.20~ppa1-generic-tuxonice 3.11.6
Uname: Linux 3.11.0-13-generic-tuxonice i686
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.1
Architecture: i386
Date: Sat Nov 30 11:48:52 2013
GsettingsChanges: b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'maximized' b'true'
InstallationMedia: Lubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" - Release i386 (20131016.1)
MarkForUpload: True
SourcePackage: nautilus
modified.conffile..etc.xdg.autostart.nautilus.autostart.desktop: [deleted]
usr_lib_nautilus:
 evince        3.10.0-0ubuntu2
 file-roller   3.10.1-0ubuntu1
 gnome-mplayer 1.0.8-2

** Affects: nautilus (Ubuntu)

** Tags: apport-bug i386 saucy

  "Ejecting" USB (ex. Camera) doesn't offer to empty Trash

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu: