Chris, I guess there was slight misunderstanding. Manuel was intending
that the 'dialog box' which says 'battery cricital, plug in charging'
doesn't go away when one plugs in the charger. I think the 'dialog box'
should go away as soon as battery is plugged in. You are right that the
battery 'indicator' mustn't disapper, but that 'dialog box' should as
soon as you plug the charger.

I am noticing the same issues even now, in Ubuntu 13.04. It would be
great if this UI inconvenience is fixed.

Thanks.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-power-manager in Ubuntu.

  battery critically low dialog doesn't disappear when plugged in

Status in One Hundred Papercuts:
  Fix Released
Status in “gnome-power-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  When the laptop battery is very low an alert dialog is shown to the
  user. If the dialog isn't dismissed, but the laptop is plugged in the
  dialog does not disappear automatically and could become a source of
  confusion for a newcomer to Ubuntu of a novice user of a PC.

  See image below where the laptop has been plugged in, but the dialog
  is still present.