@Jerome: Paddy was referring to the password when full disk encryption
is in use, not the one used to protect a user account. Normally the
pass-phrase used for  full disk encryption this is an automatically
created, awkward and long phrase, hard to type in without making
mistakes, let alone memorize.

However, @Paddy, your argumentation is flawed in the sense to assume
that full disk encryption necessarily is a sane default and should be
forced on a user. True, it is an elegant excuse instead fixing bugs when
the kernel is communicating with the BIOS, UEFI or the graphics stack,
which are the most occurring reasons for failing resume from S3, S4
suspends.

Packages, which is subscribed to policykit-desktop-privileges in Ubuntu.

  Disable hibernate option by default

Status in Ayatana Design:
  Fix Released
Status in Pantheon Session Indicator:
  Invalid
Status in PolicyKit:
  Invalid
Status in “policykit-desktop-privileges” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “policykit-desktop-privileges” source package in Precise:

  TO RE-ENABLE HIBERNATE: If the hibernate option is supported by your system
and you need it, you can re-enable it as follows:
https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu-help/power-hibernate.html

  You may be also interested in subscribing to the bug #882040, which tracks
the implementation of a configuration tool to toggle hibernate and suspend.

  I'd like to propose a change in the design of Power preferences in the
  GNOME control center: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Power

  Instead of going through the "certification" path, we can simply
  disable the options about suspend/hibernate if it's not supported on
  the current hardware (we have API for this in upower).

  I think this solution is more scalable, as we do not need to maintain
  a database with "certified" hardware. Also, we can add a button or a
  informative text when suspend/hibernate doesn't work to guide the
  users about what to do.