It's already fixed with Pidgin 2.10.7.

Packages, which is subscribed to pidgin in Ubuntu.

  pidgin crashes with malformed png

Status in “pidgin” package in Ubuntu:

  This is for Pidgin 2.7.11 (libpurple 2.7.11); the package is 'pidgin'
  version '1:2.7.11-1ubuntu2.2' on Ubuntu Natty.

  I originally reported this to the Pidgin developers but it appears to also be
related to GTK on Natty. The original bug has a lot of information:
  http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/15282

  In short, without just repeating the full pidgin bug, when I attempt to set
the following PNG as my buddy icon, pidgin crashes:

http://developer.pidgin.im/attachment/ticket/14571/png-1-width-800-height-2.png

  These images may also be of interest:
  http://developer.pidgin.im/attachment/ticket/14571/local-buddy-icon.png

http://developer.pidgin.im/attachment/ticket/14571/png-1-width-519-height-2.png

  This may also be of interest to the security team - GTK may be the actual
issue underlying all of the tickets:
  http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/14571#comment:15