** Changed in: oem-priority
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Ara Pulido (apulido)

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Combo audio jack support ("what did you plug in?"-dialog)

Status in OEM Priority Project:
  In Progress
Status in OEM Priority Project precise series:
  In Progress
Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in “pulseaudio” source package in Precise:

  This is about a specific set of new laptops, which has only one 3.5 mm
  jack for analog audio, and where that jack can be used to plug in a
  headphone, headset, and in some cases, a microphone.

  Previously, these jacks have been able to distinguish - in hardware -
  between a headphone and a headset (i e headphone with mic), but it seems
  to be increasingly common that they don't have this ability.

  Our current solution, as it works in 13.10, is that for these machines
  one has to manually select the right input and output in sound settings.

  Here's an example on how the dialog looks in Windows:
  https://launchpadlibrarian.net/70431415/2011-03-08%2017.08.26.jpg -
  probably provided by Realtek 3rd party drivers.

  We can either choose to implement a similar dialog, or just to provide
  notify-OSD on plug of audio jack for user to choose between
  microphone, headphone/speakers, or headset if it is a four ring jack.
  Choosing the notify-OSD instead of an OSD is a compromise between
  "making it easy for users to reconfigure jack" and "avoiding annoying
  distractions".

  Timeline wise it would be nice to merge this in the early 14.04 cycle.
  We also need to ship it in OSP2 (OEM Service Pack 2, shipped on
pre-installs). Hence it would be good if we could have input/ack from design
team ASAP, or at least by the end of October.

  <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Sound#unknown-device>: "When a device is
  plugged into an audio jack that can’t distinguish between
  headphones/speakers, headsets, or microphones, Ubuntu should display
  an “Unknown Audio Device” dialog..."