I don't think it's acceptable to impose a behavior change in such a way
that someone with a sane configuration is unable to log in after
upgrading --- except through a virtual terminal or ssh in order to make
further changes to the configuration after googling the problem. This is
the sort of thing that is pushing people away from Ubuntu.

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-greeter in Ubuntu.

  user text box not displayed with greeter-hide-users=true in lightdm

Status in “unity-greeter” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  When running Ubuntu 13.10 Beta 2 ( with the latest updates as of
  10/03/2013 ) if I disable the lightdm graphical user list, no text box
  is displayed to enter a username and the GUI login screen.

  user@ubuntu1310-i386:~$ cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/10-ubuntu.conf
  [SeatDefaults]
  user-session=ubuntu
  allow-guest=false
  greeter-hide-users=true

  Release:      13.10

  lightdm:
    Installed: 1.7.17-0ubuntu1
    Candidate: 1.7.17-0ubuntu1

  Expected results is that a text box is displayed for entering the
  username / password to login.