Disclaimer: I'm a student, and not a Python programmer, and have only
been looking at Alacarte's code for an hour and a half or so. So this
might all be totally off-base.

Regarding the missing icon extensions, I think I found where it's
happening.

In ItemEditor.py (found here: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-
branches/ubuntu/saucy/alacarte/saucy/view/head:/Alacarte/ItemEditor.py
), line 68:

def set_icon_string(image, icon):
    if GLib.path_is_absolute(icon):
        image.props.file = icon
    else:
        image.props.icon_name = strip_extensions(icon)

I did some testing, and an icon path that got stripped on saving in Main
Menu return True when passed to GLib.path_is_absolute. So if icon is
being passed to set_icon_string properly, then we shouldn't have this
issue.

The only place where we see set_icon_string used is on line 144:

def set_icon(self, ctl, name):
        try:
            val = self.keyfile.get_string(DESKTOP_GROUP, name)
        except GLib.GError:
            pass
        else:
            set_icon_string(self.builder.get_object(ctl), val)

The value returned by self.keyfile.get_string(DESKTOP_GROUP, name) must
not be evaluating True in GLib.path_is_absolute. Why? No idea. And
that's about all the sleuthing I can do at 1 am. I might take another
look soon, though.

Packages, which is subscribed to alacarte in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 13.10 Main Menu editor Problem

Status in “alacarte” package in Ubuntu:

  I just ungraded to *Ubuntu 13.10* using ) *Gnome (classic) Desktop*.

  The [Main Menu] editor does NOT work properly.

  I cannot ADD items.

  I CAN edit and move existing items only.