This affects me too in exactly the same way.

Based on my digging, there are more than a few people experiencing this
particular combination of issues after the 13.10 upgrade (NM issues,
User Account management "unlock" is greyed out, drive
mounting/unmounting issues, shutdown/reboot issues).

I've seen it suggested this may actually be a policykit issue, since
these are all things that require elevated permissions and only occurs
in the GUI.  This particular system I'm on may have been upgraded more
than once, but I'm not sure since I don't recall whether I did a clean
install of 13.04 or upgraded from 12.10 (and more).  So, it may be
something that doesn't present unless you've gone through multiple
chained upgrades.

  After upgrade from 13.04 to 13.10 no auto mount, unable to
  shutdown/reboot from menu, empty network list, etc ...

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “network-manager-applet” package in Ubuntu:

  Recently I upgraded my laptop from 13.04 to 13.10. After that I am
  facing the following issues.

  . No automount for usb devices
  . Unable to shutdown/reboot from the menu (unless from commandline with sudo)
  . Network list is empty (but via sudo the network list are there
(nm-connection-editor))
  . In the notification panel(systray) the network icon is missing.
  . unable to edit User manager, the unlock button is grayed out always.

  While opening "Network" from gnome-control-center, it showing the following
error message.
  "The system network services are not compatible with this version."

  In the terminal the following error messages printed while running
gnome-control-center => Network
  (gnome-control-center:3748): Clutter-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C
library.
  Using the fallback 'C' locale.

  ** (gnome-control-center:3748): WARNING **: Could not initialize
  NMClient /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: Rejected send message, 3
  matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.88" (uid=1000 pid=3748
  comm="gnome-control-center ")
  interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="GetAll" error
  name="(unset)" requested_reply="0"
  destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" (uid=0 pid=1666
  comm="NetworkManager ")

  (gnome-control-center:3748): network-cc-panel-WARNING **: Could not
  open RFKILL control device, please verify your installation

  ** (gnome-control-center:3748): WARNING **:
  _nm_remote_settings_ensure_inited: (NMRemoteSettings) error
  initializing: Rejected send message, 3 matched rules;
  type="method_call", sender=":1.88" (uid=1000 pid=3748 comm="gnome-
  control-center ") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties"
  member="GetAll" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0"
  destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" (uid=0 pid=1666
  comm="NetworkManager ")

  If I open the Software Updater, its showing this error
  "You are not allowed to perform this action
  You don't have the required privileges to perform this action"

  jj@jjux64:~$ lsb_release -a
  No LSB modules are available.
  Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
  Release:      13.10
  Codename:     saucy

  jj@jjux64:~$ id
  uid=1000(jj) gid=1000(jj)
groups=1000(jj),4(adm),20(dialout),21(fax),24(cdrom),25(floppy),26(tape),27(sudo),29(audio),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),104(fuse),109(lpadmin),119(pulse),120(pulse-access),124(sambashare),130(vboxusers),131(nm-openconnect)

  Please let me know, if any more info required from my side.