It might also bee that the nvidia driver should just be working with
bumblebee eventhough we don't have optimus. Question is, what is
missing?

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-331 in Ubuntu.

  nvidia-331 update installs bumblebee [xorg-edgers]

Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers-331” package in Ubuntu:

  Hi xorg-edgers team,

  I just got the nvidia-331 update, from nvidia-319, but the update
  installs bumblebee, however when bumblebee is installed it blacklists
  the nvidia kernel modules.  Which bumblebee is suppossed to do but it
  breaks xorg if you aren't running an optimus based GPU.  Uninstalling
  bumblebee does not remove the /etc/modprobe.d/bumblebee.conf config
  file and as such the driver is still blacklisted until you either
  modify the file to not black list the nvidia-331 module or remove
  bumblebee.conf.  I have an nvidia 560 GTX video card.

  Tareeq