PDFs are vector format (with the option embed raster graphics "images"
in them) so they don't have an inherent resolution.

It's more likely that a "light" PDF doesn't have images, or other
"advanced" PDF features, that need converted into something else (PDF
supports features that Postscript does not). Or possibly the "lighter"
PDF doesn't embed fonts, or doesn't embed as many or as large fonts.

It's *really* impossible to guess without an awful lot of work from
someone like me, and an awful of help from you to narrow down the
printer's bug, and assess if there is a workaround.

Packages, which is subscribed to cups-filters in Ubuntu.

  printer ERROR:  invalidaccess  OFFENDING COMMAND: filter

Status in “cups-filters” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “cups-filters” source package in Precise:
  Fix Released
Status in “cups-filters” source package in Quantal:

  This is probably related to bug #960666  but is when trying to print to an HP
LaserJet 4050.
  When trying to print graphics (I have tried both from Geany and from Document
Viewer (viewing a PDF), the printer prints a blank page and then a page with
the text:

  ERROR:
  invalidaccess
  OFFENDING COMMAND:
  filter
  STACK:
  /SubFileDecode
  endstream
  0
  --nostringval--
  --nostringval--
  11
  false

  (above was when trying to print from geany) but I think the PDF printed the
same text.
  This printer worked perfectly in the previous 3 versions of Xubuntu but I get
this error in Xubuntu 12.04, so I know it's not a printer problem.
  Interestingly, the Ubuntu test page prints perfectly.