Thanks for the reply. I launched the live "CD" version of the daily
build on the machine. The display was changed to a different  monitor
with "ordinary" 1280x1024 resolution. Sorry, it is not practical for me
to repeat the old setup and rerun the test.

I see that the nouveau driver is indeed loaded on that machine, so this
is an opportunity to try out the new version of the OS. I am yet to
check whether the screen corruption would occur in this setting. But I
am frustrated by the "flashy" animations of windows  etc, which I
suspect is due to compiz (I can see compiz process using lots of CPU).
How do I disable this? Sorry this is OOT, but if you (@Christopher) can
help, I may be able to test out some more without the flashy compiz
stuff.

Wirawan

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  Screen corruption observed randomly

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-nouveau” package in Ubuntu:

  I am using nouveau driver to drive a ViewSonic LCD display that has HD
  resolution (1920x1080) on this computer. On random occasion, usually
  after unlocking a screen saver, the screen will look corrupt.

  Symptoms:

  1) desktop background is always corrupted
  2) Letters from some fonts would become garbled.

  To work around (1), I could restart nautilus. But for the other
  symptom, I don't know.

  Background:

  I originally installed this when I had a different external display
  (and I was using proprietary nvidia driver included in Ubuntu 10.04
  LTS). The original resolution was 1600x1024. But with the higher
  resolution, the proprietary driver was not adequate (it would not even
  show anything beyond 1280x1024, I believe?), so I had to give it up
  and use the (apparently unstable) nouveau driver.

  Is this bug resolved somewhere else? If so I would like to know which
  version.

  Feel free to ask me more question.

  Wirawan

  Package: xorg 1:7.5+5ubuntu1.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-37.81-generic 2.6.32.49+drm33.21
  Uname: Linux 2.6.32-37-generic i686
  Architecture: i386