This should be just a packaging change and a patch for Mesa 10.0.1 is at

As it continues to be more WIP than stable (correct me if I'm wrong), it
should probably stay in universe and not be installed by default. Still,
offering it would be nice.

Packages, which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Please include gallium vdpau and xvmc driver support

Status in Mesa:
  New
Status in “mesa” package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Mesa 8.0+ now supports eg. hw accelerated video decoding via the VDPAU
  API, and XvMC support, over Gallium on at least Radeon r300+ and
  r600+. Please enable the support for it. More info and a patch in the
  linked Debian bug report.