PLEASE fix this BUG!  This just happened to me the other day!  It's also
a SECURITY issue.  Pidgin continues to run in the background even after
it's been closed as described.  Other users on my computer were able to
access my contacts list after a chat window opened up in an unexpected
manner.  Such a simple but MAJOR bug gives open source software a bad
reputation!!!!  How is it possible that it's been almost one and a half
years since reported and STILL the importance has yet to be
"undecided"!!!!!!

PLEASE FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX!!!!

Packages, which is subscribed to pidgin in Ubuntu.

  Pidgin looks closed, but remains running hidden

Status in “pidgin” package in Ubuntu:

  In unity, if I close pidgin by either clicking the window decoration
  button or by closing it from the dock tile (right-click, quit), the
  pidgin window goes away and the tile reports that it's not running.
  However, it *is* still running in the background, new chats will
  mysteriously appear, etc. If I close pidgin from its Buddies menu,
  then it actually exits, but this is awkward and illogical, especially
  with the unified menu bar, regardless of how cool Apple thinks it is.

  Package: pidgin 1:2.10.2-1ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 1.95-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Thu Mar 29 09:51:20 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64
(20110720.1)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/zsh
  SourcePackage: pidgin
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-03-22 (7 days ago)