Okay, I'm on fresh 13.10, just installed Liferea - slow performance and
high HDD disk usage during updating is back.

Packages, which is subscribed to liferea in Ubuntu.

  Liferea stalling, uses excessive number of fsyncs

Status in Liferea Feed Reader:
  Unknown
Status in “liferea” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: liferea

  Ubuntu intrepid 8.10RC
  liferea 1.4.18-0ubuntu2

  Liferea stalls easily and takes up to several minutes to start when
  the system is otherwise busy with disk I/O. A strace of the default
  session with startup and immediate exit yields >700 calls to fsync().

  I expected liferea to start and handle reasonably quickly, as the website
states it was a fast, easy to use news reader.
  Instead, I found it to be too slow for casually checking a few feeds, because
it syncs the whole file system hundreds of times.

  Steps to reproduce:
  $ sudo apt-get install liferea
  $ stress -d 2   # or compile something
  $ time liferea
  real  6m13.769s
  user  0m1.920s
  sys   0m0.296s

  strace output:
  $ rm -rf .liferea_1.4/
  $ strace -etrace=fsync -o liferea_session.strace liferea 2>&1
  --- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ 0 (0) ---
  --- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ 0 (0) ---
  fsync(16)                               = 0
  fsync(17)                               = 0
  fsync(16)                               = 0
  fsync(15)                               = 0
  fsync(16)                               = 0
  fsync(17)                               = 0
  fsync(19)                               = 0
  fsync(16)                               = 0
  fsync(15)                               = 0
  745 fsyncs in total