Nemo 2.0.8 doesn't have this issue and as you probably know it's derived
from Nautilus 3.4

On the other Nautilus (version 3.4.1) in Precise also can't be closed
when the type-ahead entry is open.

  Cannot close window if type-ahead entry is open

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  With proposed enabled.

  If I type some characters on a Nautilus window the type-ahead text
  entry will open. If I click the close button of the window (with the
  text entry still present), it won't close. The minimize and
  maximize/restore actions do work.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.8.2-0ubuntu11
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-5-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.13.1-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: i386
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Wed Jan 22 11:42:31 2014
  GsettingsChanges: b'org.gnome.nautilus.list-view' b'default-column-order'
b"['name', 'size', 'type', 'date_modified', 'owner', 'group', 'permissions',
'mime_type', 'where']"
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Alpha i386 (20140113)
  SourcePackage: nautilus