The screen on the model I reported has failed on me. I now use an
external monitor hooked up via vga. I still get blanking but inquiries
tell me that this is due to variability in card and monitor resolution
tolarancy. So, I can't speak to this any longer.

Now if Ubuntu recognized the monitor via DVI, I could futher provide
feedback. I don't think it's a proprietary DVI as it fits a regular DVI
cable (dual-link DVI is what wikipedia says).

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  Logging out of sessions results in a transitional black textual screen
  --12.10 upgrade

Status in “xorg-server” package in Ubuntu:

  When I log out of sessions, a black screen appears before lightdm
  appears. I don't know if it's Xorg's, Unity's or lightdm's fault but
  it needs to be addressed as it gives an unprofessional look.

  Precedure to reporoduce:
  The obvious, log out of Unity.

  Package: lightdm 1.2.0-0ubuntu2
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-23-generic i686