Just out of curiosity, I also tried 11.10, same problem persists. I'm
pretty sure it's a hardware problem now.

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  Laptop screen is turned off, needs shutdown to work again

Status in “xorg” package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 13.10, release: 13.10
  xorg: Installed: 1:7.7+1ubuntu6

  Have you experienced just one lockup, or have you had a series of these
lockups?
  - I had several lockups.

  If you've had several, how often does it occur? Every few hours? Once or
twice a day? Couple times a week?
  - Couple times a week.

  When did you first notice it?
  - Around a year ago.

  Shortly after upgrading?
  - Can't remember, could be after the 12.10 upgrade.

  After updating?
  - Don't think so.

  After changing compositing (Desktop Effects) settings?
  - Never changed these.

  Under what conditions does it seem most likely to reproduce?
  - Undetermined, it happens during normal OS usage. It doesn't seem to happen
when the laptop is idle.

  Only at boot time?
  - No, it can also happen after, let's say, several hours of working on the
laptop.

  When resuming from suspend or hibernate?
  - I never suspend or hibernate the laptop.

  Only when using compositing (Unity, et al)
  Yes, it never happened when in a tty.

  When changing resolution or enabling/disabling monitors
  - I don't change the resolution or enable/disable monitors.

  When the screensaver (or power saving mode) kicks in
  - The laptop continues working properly when the screensaver or power saving
mode kicks in.

  Visiting particular web pages or loading particular files
  - Not a particular web page, but it happens when I use FireFox, Google Chrome
or Thunderbird.

  Switching between desktops
  - I never do this.

  When performing a specific sequence of actions (List them!)
  - I don't have a reproducable situation.