Public bug reported:

In Saucy Salamander, gdm will not start if 3d acceleration is not
available.  This throws an error to /var/log/gdm/:0-greeter.log

gnome-session-is-accelerated: No composite extension.
gnome-session-check-accelerated: Helper exited with code 256
gnome-session-is-accelerated: No composite extension.
gnome-session-check-accelerated: Helper exited with code 256
** (process:4142): WARNING **: software acceleration check failed: Child
process exited with code 1

This is a regression from raring, and is the same if gnome-fallback is
unavailable.

Possibly the same bug as #1251281, as this shows the same error.

This is preventing me from upgrading to raring, as I run 4 screens on an
Nvidia Quadro NVS 450, meaning 3d is unavailable.

** Affects: gnome-session (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-session (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-session in Ubuntu.

  gdm fails to start without 3d acceleration

Status in “gnome-session” package in Ubuntu: