I can confirm this problem with P4M900 which is built in on the Gigabyte
GA-VM900M. Maybe about a year ago I installed 12.04 LTS (may have been
12.04-1 or 12.04-2) and it worked fine with this video card. This time I
used the updated 12.04-4 and it couldn't start X. I'm going to try
installing 12.04-4 but reverting to an older version of xserver-xorg-
video-openchrome from the CLI.

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-openchrome in
Ubuntu.

  VGA is blank/black on P4M900

Status in openchrome:
  New
Status in “xserver-xorg-video-openchrome” package in Ubuntu:

  VGA is blank/black on P4M900 when monitor/tft is switched on *after*
  booting linux.