Public bug reported:

This is fallout from bug 864618: In that bug we disabled the
set_language() call as it invalidly sets $LANG to the "Language"
property of accountsservice, which cannot work because $LANG is a locale
and "Language" is only a language name.

However, set_language() also sets the $LANG variable from ~/.dmrc, which
we need for backwards compatibility and derivatives.

So what should happen is that all the code which does the `locale -a`
guesswork needs to be dropped, and only these parts remain which
evaluate ~/.dmrc.

Please see http://pad.ubuntu.com/locale-handling for details.

** Affects: lightdm (Ubuntu)

** Affects: lightdm (Ubuntu Oneiric)

** Also affects: lightdm (Ubuntu Oneiric)

** Changed in: lightdm (Ubuntu Oneiric)

** Changed in: lightdm (Ubuntu Oneiric)

** Changed in: lightdm (Ubuntu Oneiric)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Robert Ancell (robert-ancell)

** Changed in: lightdm (Ubuntu Oneiric)
    Milestone: None => oneiric-updates

** Description changed:

  This is fallout from bug 864618: In that bug we disabled the
  set_language() call as it invalidly sets $LANG to the "Language"
  property of accountsservice, which cannot work because $LANG is a locale
  and "Language" is only a language name.

  However, set_language() also sets the $LANG variable from ~/.dmrc, which
  we need for backwards compatibility and derivatives.

  So what should happen is that all the code which does the `locale -a`
  guesswork needs to be dropped, and only these parts remain which
  evaluate ~/.dmrc.
+
+ Please see http://pad.ubuntu.com/locale-handling for details.

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Need to set $LANG from .dmrc for backwards compatibility

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “lightdm” source package in Oneiric: