I've now found out why Philip Langdale's ppa
(https://launchpad.net/~langdalepl/+archive/gvfs-mtp) did not work. It also
needs /etc/fuse.conf to be amended: uncomment the line for user_allow_other.
Then logout & login before attaching the phone by usb cable. This also works
for other phones using MTP e.g. ZTE V790. So my guess is that it will also fox
bug 903422 (for Samsung phones) & any related bugs for other phones.
PS Apologies for leaving part of SRU template in my last message.

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  Motorola G Android Phone does not connect

Status in “gvfs” package in Ubuntu:

  This phone does not cause Nautilus to open a new tab for its SD card (nor any
other action in Nautilus) for Ubuntu 12.04. Bug 903422 (for Samsung phones)
advises opening a new bug for any other phone.
  Make: Motorola
  Model: Moto G
  Release: Android 4.4.2

  PS I've tried using Philip Langdale's ppa but that makes no
  difference. When I contacted him, he stated that the functionality is
  now in Ubuntu 13.10 & that he would not be changing his ppa.

  ls usb shows:
  Bus 002 Device 012: ID 22b8:2e82 Motorola PCS

  mtp-detect shows:
  john@JohnDesktop:~$ mtp-detect
  libmtp version: 1.1.3

  Listing raw device(s)
     No raw devices found.

  Package: gvfs 1.12.1-0ubuntu1.2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-45.68~precise1-generic 3.5.7.26
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-45-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu17.6
  Architecture: amd64