Public bug reported:

This issue may be device-specific: the incorrect name of the connection
is used when the modem (the device) under use is Samsung SGH-Z810
dongle.

I live in Slovak Republic (Slovakia in short, or Slovensko in our language). My
operator is Orange Slovensko.
The connection name in the NetworkManager menu is
Orange Default (Orange Slovensko GPRS)

The GPRS string is incorrect. It should be UMTS or better HSDPA. I have
just checked the download speed and it surely is a 3G speed: 331.5KB/s
using  scp  download from a remote host.

I thing that a suitable name of the connection for my country and operator
should be both short and correct, e.g.
Orange Slovensko HSDPA
(the last acronym is of course a variable string, depending on the kind of
signal).

Package: modemmanager 1.0.0-2
CurrentDesktop: Unity
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Alpha amd64 (20140130)
SourcePackage: modemmanager

** Affects: modemmanager (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug trusty

Packages, which is subscribed to modemmanager in Ubuntu.

  3G HSDPA connection displayed as GPRS

Status in “modemmanager” package in Ubuntu: