This bug is a duplicate of:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lightdm/+bug/969489
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lightdm/+bug/1066410

This bug has not been resolved as of yet and has affected Ubuntu distributions
ever since, at most, 12.10.  Not sure before that.
Though this problem hasn't been patched to check for dependencies to be loaded
before lightdm, a workaround to add sleep 2 to the startup script has been
mildly helpful to thwart the racing condition that occurs when this is loading.
 A while statement should be issued to determine if its dependencies are not
loaded already and to pause until the while statement is no longer true.  This
will allow all users to not have to customize their wait time which might vary
between boots and not work every time.
Also, this bug affects my installation and hasn't been addressed in the past 3
revisions of Ubuntu.  If someone would be so kind as to get this fixed for the
next revision, it would be greatly appreciated.

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Lightdm Ubuntu 13.10 fails to start "intermittently" after cold boot
  or from shutdown/reboot.

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Ubuntu 13.10 official release.
  After a clean install of Ubuntu 13.10 I shut down for the night. Upon boot
the next morning I found a blank screen with no greeter.
  I rebooted. This time I saw a wallpaper but no menu's.
  I did sudo service lightdm restart and it worked.
  But now after each shutdown or even a reboot I have to manually restart
lightdm or might get lucky with lightdm greeter... I have added sleep 2 to the
lightdm.conf.

  Additional info running on a hybrid disc with btrfs  /, /home ...