I'd say its not an issue any more on 14.04.

Packages, which is subscribed to pm-utils in Ubuntu.

  Active screen changes when suspending by lid close

Status in “pm-utils” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: acpi-support

  I have two screens, an internal Dell Latitude X1 and an external Dell
  2405FPW. Both screens are switched on, and the external monitor is
  connected to the VGA output of the X1.

  Using display preferences, I have switched off the external display,
  using just the internal display.

  When suspending by closing the lid, the external display is briefly
  activated and the internal display deactivated. The machine then goes
  to standby, which deactivates both displays. After resuming, the
  desktop appears on the external display, while the internal display is
  switched off. This behaviour is _not_ expected. I'd expect Ubuntu to
  respect my display configuration.

  This is _not_ an issue when suspending via pm-suspend. It is also not
  an issue when I change the lid action from suspend to e.g. blank
  screen and then close the lid.

  Environment: Jaunty, upgraded with recommended updates. xserver-xorg-
  video-intel driver on i915GMS.

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.04