Public bug reported:

This bug applies to Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr)

I configured my (GNOME) desktop to make Caps_Lock an additional Control
key.

This results in a perfectly reasonable xkb keymap:

xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
        xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
        xkb_symbols   { include
"pc+us+inet(evdev)+capslock(ctrl_modifier)+compose(ralt)"       };
        xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"     };
};

But "xkbcomp" turns this into a slightly broken modifier map:

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Caps_Lock (0x42),  Control_R (0x69)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Meta_L (0xcd)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4        Super_L (0x85),  Super_R (0x86),  Super_L (0xce),  Hyper_L (0xcf)
mod5        ISO_Level3_Shift (0x5c),  Mode_switch (0xcb)

As you can see, Caps_Lock is now assigned to both "lock" and "control".
That's technically not valid, even if it happens to (almost) work with
many X applications.

Unfortunately for me, VMware Workstation is one of the applications that
cannot handle this situation. In fact, when it encounters this type of
modifier map, it proceeds to completely clear the entire map, which is
quite catastrophic:

xmodmap:  up to 0 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift
lock
control
mod1
mod2
mod3
mod4
mod5

That's of course a bug in VMWare -- and I already reported it. But the
root cause of the bug looks as if it is faulty information in the
xkeyboard configuration files.

For the time being, I can work around the problem by issuing "xmodmap -e
'clear lock'" prior to starting VMWare Workstation.

** Affects: xkeyboard-config (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in Ubuntu.

  capslock(ctrl_modifier) generates invalid modifier map

Status in “xkeyboard-config” package in Ubuntu: