Sorry for the delay, I've tried the wacom driver with a couple of
devices here, but so far wasn't lucky enough to reproduce your problem.
When it worked at all, I was able to type with Onboard too.

I can see one more possibility: would you please try setting
Preferences->Keyboard->Advanced->Touch input to "none"?

If that does nothing, when you say it is not possible to type, is there
any response at all from Onboard? Is there any hint of taps/clicks being
registered, keys highlighted? Does the cursor image change when you
cross the keyboard's frame? Are any other applications affected?

Packages, which is subscribed to onboard in Ubuntu.

  Onboard not working with wacom driver

Status in Onboard on-screen keyboard:
  Incomplete
Status in “onboard” package in Ubuntu:

  If I choose the wacom driver instead of the evdev driver in:

   /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf

  the touchscreen works in general fine, but it is not posibible to type
  on the onscreen keyboard.

  Package: onboard 1.0.0-0ubuntu2
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Wed Mar 26 09:27:31 2014
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20130820.2)
  SourcePackage: onboard
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2014-03-23 (2 days ago)