@Jason: in theory nvidia-331-updates was supposed to be updated
frequently after the Ubuntu release, whereas nvidia-331 would remain at
the same version. In practice the SRU process is too slow for this, and
the main reason for keeping nvidia-331-updates around, is that on
development releases, after feature freeze, we can still update the
nvidia driver without breaking nvidia-331. In general we are more
conservative when dealing with nvidia-331.

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-331 in Ubuntu.

  Please update to 331. 49 and/or provide Nvidia 334.21

Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers-331” package in Ubuntu:

  Provide Nvidia 334.21 drivers for ubuntu 14.04 in the xorg-edgers PPA.
  This driver provides alot of performance improvements and new GPUs support.

  Changlog:
  http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/73666/en-us