** Changed in: gvfs

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  Nautilus: Impossible to change case of filename/extension in Windows
  Share

Status in GVFS:
  Unknown
Status in Nautilus:
  Invalid
Status in Samba:
  Fix Released
Status in “gvfs” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “samba” package in Debian:

  Altough Linux is a case-sensitive operating system, I cannot change
  the case in filename or extension in nautilus when working on a
  Windows Share. If I try to rename from 123.abc to 123.ABC for example,
  nautilus will tell me there already is a file with that name.

  Obviously, it doesn't matter to Windows the case of the
  filename/extension. The problem is that sometimes we use Windows
  shares to store files that will be accessed on Linux or shared between
  the two operating systems. Then it becomes a problem.

  Example situation: You are trying to watch a AVI movie with subtitles
  using MPlayer. Both files (.avi, .srt) are stored at a Windows share.
  In order for this to work with MPlayer, both files have to have the
  exact same name and case. The subtitles file (.srt) has one letter in
  a wrong case. You try to change it with Nautilus and it won't work.
  Now the only two solutions are renaming through a terminal or
  physichal access to the Windows machine.

  I have some other problems, regarding external scripts linking PPT and
  XLS to a database... If someone at the Windows side changes the case
  of one letter of any of the files, we at the Linux side can't fix it
  simply using Nautilus. Terminal or physical access is required.

  And, anyway, not being able to rename a file at a share cannot be an
  expected behavior. It makes no sense.

  Regards,
  Effenberg