Are you still seeing this issue? I'm not sure if you are referring to
the tray icon, in my system it was fixed a couple of weeks ago after an
update.

** Changed in: rhythmbox (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to rhythmbox in Ubuntu.

  Rhythmbox launcher icon menu is not working

Status in “rhythmbox” package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 14.04 Fresh install of daily build iso of 9March2014 + updates.
Reproducible in VM and on real machine.
  Unity panel icon for Rhythmbox issue

  Steps to reprodcue:
  1. Open any audio file in Rhythmbox  > Rhythmbox icon will be shown on unity
panel
  2. Right click Rhythmbox icon on unity panel and click any of "Play" "Pause"
"Next" "Previous" if you unsure - see screnshot attached
  3. Right click Rhythmbox icon on unity panel and click "Quit"

  Actual result:
  2. Nothing happens i.e. "Play" "Pause" "Next" "Previous" are not working
  3. Window closed but aplication is not, you can still hear the audio

  Expected result:
  2. "Play" "Pause" "Next" "Previous" should work
  3. Application closed, not only window closed