This bug also affects xubuntu.
So it could be on the kernel layer.

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-greeter in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu cannot restore system state after suspend mode

Status in “unity-greeter” package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 14.04 installed on a laptop (Sony Vaio PCG-51111V in my case).
  When the lid is closed it goes to suspend mode.
  When I turn it on after suspend mode:
  1. Unity greeter lock screen appears but I cannot enter my password because
it doesn't react on any key presses on the keyboard.
  2. After about 1 minute Unity greeter lock screen disappears for a second and
appears again with a classical drum sound (system-ready.ogg).
  3. Now keyboard works fine and I can enter my password.
  4. But after entering password I see only clean screen with my wallpaper and
"ubuntu 14.04 LTS" label. No pannels, no windows, no applications. And it
doesn't react on keyboard anymore.
  5. Power off/on is only way to make Ubuntu works again after suspend.

  Version: Ubuntu 14.04-beta2 (i386) clean install.