The bug task for the somerville project has been removed by an automated
script.  This bug has been cloned on that project and is available here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1305691

** No longer affects: somerville

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in Ubuntu.

  [i845] [Inspiron 1100] Fails to detect laptop flatpanel screen (i845)

Status in X.org xf86-video-intel:
  Invalid
Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: xorg

  I'm not sure where this problem is, I'm going to need some guidance
  here as I'm new to all this! Anyway, this seems like a fairly basic
  problem...

  I'm running intrepid on an old Dell Inspiron 1100 (and yes also
  getting bug 261721, but this isn't a duplicate even if it is display
  related...) and it doesn't detect the laptop's display as a display in
  the monitor resolution settings when it bothers to use the display at
  all. Power manager only adjusts the displays brightness when it starts
  off on full, otherwise the bar is a slider of nothing at all. It
  detects external monitors just fine, and even comes up with
  alternative resolutions for them (gasp!) but when one is detected, it
  not only fails to detect but also doesn't use the laptop display at
  all. Sometimes (I thought it was just when the bios was starting it up
  on anything other than full brightness, but it does it sometimes now
  even though I've got it automatically starting on full brightness on
  AC power and on battery) it fails to use the display at all when
  ubuntu starts up. The bios displays fine as does windows, and hardy
  had no such problems, and intrepid gets right to the point where point
  where its startup screen bar fills up before the screen goes dead, if
  it's going to go dead.

  When the screen is dead, it makes all the right login sounds when i
  press the right keys and shuts down alright (though in a separate,
  less annoying bug, the power button doesn't do anything whatever
  setting power manager has) even turning the display back on to show me
  ubuntu's nice orange bar unfilling.

  so... release 8.10, I'm guessing it's an x window problem, but could
  someone please give this a bit of thought and help me report this
  properly?

  Thanks!
  Kashi

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.10
  Package: xorg 1:7.4~5ubuntu3
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcVersion: Linux version 2.6.27-9-generic (buildd@rothera) (gcc version
4.3.2 (Ubuntu 4.3.2-1ubuntu11) ) #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 21:57:00 UTC 2008

  SourcePackage: xorg
  Uname: Linux 2.6.27-9-generic i686
  xkbcomp:

  [lspci]
  00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE
DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface [8086:2560] (rev 03)
  00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation
82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device [8086:2562] (rev
03)
        Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0149]