It seems this was fixed with app-install-data (13.10.1).

https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/trusty/app-install-
data-ubuntu/trusty/revision/101#menu-data/workrave:workrave.desktop

  Nautilus tries but fails to auto-install applications needed to open
  files of a given type

Status in “app-install-data-ubuntu” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “sessioninstaller” package in Ubuntu:

  I'm running Nautilus 3.6.3 on Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy).

  When I double click a file in Nautilus and there is no application
  installed which can open the file, Nautilus will try to auto-install
  an application but the auto-install hangs.  Specifically, for example:

  1. Make sure that Gnumeric is not installed on your system.
  2. Create a file with extension .gnumeric and double click it in Nautlius.

  Nautilus will report:

    Could not display "finance.gnumeric".
    There is no application installed for "Gnumeric spreadsheet" files.
    Do you want to search for an application to open this file?

  Click Yes.  You'll now see a dialog that looks like this:

    Searching for suitable software to open files
    Files requires to install [sic] software to open files of the following
file type: Gnumeric spreadsheet

  The dialog has a progress bar, which will briefly pulse and then stop.
  You can now only press Cancel.

  A glance at the code shows that Nautilus is trying to send a DBus
  message to PackageKit to perform the install.  There are apparently
  some PackageKit components on my system (e.g. libpackagekit-glib2-14
  is installed), but something is not working.