I think this is fixed with the new series now. 0.93 is now available in
Ubuntu 14.04's proposed updates, please test.

** Changed in: pitivi (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pitivi in Ubuntu.

  PiTiVi has problems to switch from one video track to another when
  they follow each other

Status in “pitivi” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: pitivi

  When I load multiple videos and static images into the project area,
  this is the behaviour I'm getting:

  When a video track reaches it's end or when the other one begins, the
  view gets stuck at this point, for a couple of seconds. The problem is
  present when more videos follow each other in one project, or when a
  video is followed by a static image. Switching from a static image to
  another static image goes fluently.

  Of course, this might be because of my weak hardware. On the other
  hand, I can even play a video during the rendering and neither the
  video, nor the rendering gets jerky, so probably my hardware is
  catching up, nonetheless. The problem will probably be in PiTiVi,
  which gets overloaded.

  Check my screencast

  Package: pitivi 0.13.4-0ubuntu3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-24.38-generic 2.6.32.15+drm33.5
  Uname: Linux 2.6.32-24-generic i686
  Architecture: i386