Although the handling of blank custom contact fields is fixed in
upcoming 11.10, I have seen this message also with legit authentication
issues.  In these other less frequent case you should ensure your client
is not locked out using
https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha.  This happens per
client (so other devices continue to work fine) when Google suspects any
sort of network issue.

Be sure to post back if this solves your issue as captcha handling
should be prioritized upstream IMHO.

Packages, which is subscribed to evolution in Ubuntu.

  Google Contacts don't work in Evolution: "Cannot authenticate user:
  Invalid query"

Status in “evolution” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: evolution

  Hello,
  I am trying to add my GMail address book with all its contacts to Evolution.
All I get is this Error-Message:

  "
  Unable to open address book
  This address book cannot be opened.  This either means that an incorrect URI
was entered, or the server is unreachable.
  Detailed error message: Cannot authenticate user: Invalid query
  "

  I'm aware of
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bug/720434 , but
  there it is said that the bug is fixed and a new one should be opened.

  Package: evolution 2.32.2-0ubuntu7
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-generic 2.6.38.2
  Uname: Linux 2.6.38-8-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Thu May  5 17:54:55 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Beta amd64 (20110413)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
   LC_MESSAGES=en_GB.UTF-8