As it turns out, this problem (at least, one with the same sympthoms)
was discovered en masse with gexiv2 on Trusty.  I've just applied a
patch that fixes the problem.

I'm marking this as a duplicate of that ticket on the assumption that
the problems are one and the same.  gexiv2 0.10.1 will have the patch
that fixes this problem.  If people still have this error using 0.10.1,
please comment here and we can re-open.

   Python bindings broken due to changes in GObject overrides API

Packages, which is subscribed to gexiv2 in Ubuntu.

  GExiv2 python wrapper broken

Status in “gexiv2” package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)
  Release:      14.04
  gir1.2-gexiv2-0.4:  Installed: 0.7.0-1

  I can import the Python wrapper, but when initializing a Metadata object, I
get an error:
  "TypeError: GObject.__init__() takes exactly 0 arguments (1 given)"

  It doesn't work in both python 2.7 and 3.3.

  $ python
  >>> from gi.repository import GExiv2
  >>> GExiv2.Metadata('foo.png')
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  TypeError: GObject.__init__() takes exactly 0 arguments (1 given)

  $ python3
  >>> from gi.repository import GExiv2
  >>> GExiv2.Metadata('foo.png')
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  TypeError: GObject.__init__() takes exactly 0 arguments (1 given)

  p.s. according to: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=697204#32
  the Python overrides are not installed?
  however, they seem to be:

  $ locate GExiv2.py
  /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/overrides/GExiv2.py
  /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/GExiv2.py