I'm not sure what you mean by "the routing code is a red herring"?

Also, I'd like to get the exact scenario nailed down.

Oliver's description said that he had Wi-Fi enabled the whole time.   If
so, was the routing table *ever* correct, or was it broken from  boot
onwards?

So which of the following two scenarios do we think is happening?

After the initial device boot, it has a valid default route pointing at
wlan and network access is enabled, then at some point rild comes along
and blindly adds a new default route due to the data call dropping and
being re-established.

OR

At boot, since WiFi is enabled, both the mobile context and the WiFi
connection are started by NM, but the rild activation takes longer than
WiFi, so rild winning the race and adds it's additional default route.

As for the options listed above...

1. I could find no way to do this...

2. I'm not sure what you mean by "trash the 'boot' routing table..."?
What what would trigger this script?  Would this work for both scenarios
mentioned above ( ie. race at initial boot, or mobile link dropping and
connection being re-established )?

3. So the basic idea is that you'd add a routing table listener to the
NM ofono code, and that this listener would delete a default route added
for mobile data if a default route already existed?  Isn't there an
inherent race ( albeit a small one ) in this approach?

I guess one final question is there anyway to configure our system
routing policy to prevent this from being possible ( ie. prevent two
default routes from being configured )?

  [touch] randomly messed up routing with recent trusty images

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  I have no clue when exactly it started (probably before image 290),
  but since a while i experience random issues where the browser
  suddenly doesnt find websites anymore ... digging deeper i can see
  that the routing table is completely messed up having two default
  routes:

  root@ubuntu-phablet:~# route -n
  Kernel IP routing table
  Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
  0.0.0.0         37.85.159.174   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
rmnet_usb1
  0.0.0.0         192.168.2.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 wlan0
  37.85.159.172   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.252 U     0      0        0
rmnet_usb1
  192.168.2.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     9      0        0 wlan0

  i did not roam or switch networks, this phone was constantly on wlan in the
same room.
  afer a reboot the routing is normal:

  root@ubuntu-phablet:~# route -n
  Kernel IP routing table
  Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
  0.0.0.0         192.168.2.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 wlan0
  37.84.75.140    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.252 U     13     0        0
rmnet_usb0
  192.168.2.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     9      0        0 wlan0