For me the streaming to the airport express box worked fine from 11.04
till 13.10. Since the upgrade to 14.04 streaming is unusable because of
the stuttering. My setup: Kubuntu, phonon-backend-gstreamer, amarok.
With phonon-backend-vlc the stuttering is even worse.

I downgraded  pulseaudio-module-raop from 1:4.0-0ubuntu10 (14.04) to
1:4.0-0ubuntu6 (13.10), but it doesn't help. My attempt to downgrade all
pulseaudio/phonon  related packages resulted in a broken sound system,
even though the installation of the older packages succeeded. In the end
I downgraded to 13.10 again :-(

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Audio stream to Apple airport express stutters

Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: pulseaudio-module-raop

  During streaming of mp3 files to a apple airport express the audio frequently
stutters. Usually the audio stops for just a fraction of a second before audio
resumes again.
  What can I do to remedy this or what can I do to narrow the problem down
further?

  Ubuntu 10.10

  pulseaudio-module-raop 1:0.9.22~0.9.21