Still present in 11.10 beta2 (Oneiric Ocelot).

I'm starting to think that We're gonna be dead before this gets resolved
:S

Packages, which is subscribed to eog in Ubuntu.

  Eye of GNOME appears to conflict with Nautilus' file sorting
  preferences

Status in Eye of GNOME:
  Confirmed
Status in One Hundred Paper Cuts:
  Invalid
Status in “eog” package in Ubuntu:

  There is no way to say Eye of Gnome to sort the pictures in another order
then alphabetic.
  The best way would be if EoG would use the file sort option of nautilus
  if this can not be changes easily an extra file sort option in EoG would be
great